Sunday, 20th August 2017
Puzzles Solved Yesterday: 62
Home | Register | Login | Current Puzzle | Archives | Leaderboard | Forum | Tutorial | FAQ
Forum Index
 
Page 2 of 3<123>
Flash puzzle solver to be retired
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.07.16 16:55:54
Well I had a little time just now, so I've put in fixes; hopefully there will no longer be a text cursor when dragging over the puzzle on Chrome, and dragging across a button during a click should still activate it.
Tilps
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 4079
Best Total: 20m 22s
Posted - 2016.07.17 01:08:52
Looking good!
MondSemmel
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3739
Best Total: 7m 47s
Posted - 2016.07.24 09:25:37
Tested on Windows 7, both in Firefox and in Chrome. Looks good!

I initially thought the using the Flash solver vs. the Javascript solver felt slightly different (e.g. that the hitboxes for drawing lines would be different), but now that I've tried both in a direct comparison, I'm not sure I still prefer one over the other. Right now, I seem to be making more mistakes when using the Javascript version in Firefox, but it's possible this problem only exists in my imagination.

I do have one small request, though: In Javascript, can we regain the ability to draw crosses with the right mouse button? I think we had that option at some point, but it wasn't possible in the Flash version.
Last edited by MondSemmel - 2016.07.24 09:26:27
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.07.24 09:51:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondSemmel
I do have one small request, though: In Javascript, can we regain the ability to draw crosses with the right mouse button? I think we had that option at some point, but it wasn't possible in the Flash version.
Yes, good idea, I'll take a look at that this week.
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.07.26 12:41:09
I've now added support for right-click on the new javascript solver. It does the opposite of the left-click - so by default it will put a cross on the puzzle but shift-right-click will draw a line.
Jankonyex
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3578
Best Total: 9m 35s
Posted - 2016.07.26 16:31:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman
I've now added support for right-click on the new javascript solver. It does the opposite of the left-click - so by default it will put a cross on the puzzle but shift-right-click will draw a line.
That Is So Nice! So much thanks.
sam
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 1780
Best Total: 24m 39s
Posted - 2016.07.27 07:29:34
Ooh, could I try the new solver too? See how it works for a slower user.
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.07.27 07:33:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam
Ooh, could I try the new solver too? See how it works for a slower user.
You can indeed - it should be available for you now.

And coming soon to everyone else too.
pieter
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3402
Best Total: 31m 36s
Posted - 2016.07.31 21:56:41
I have always used the Flash version ONLY for the Beast of the Month (since there was no choice for that). I find it impractical for the smaller puzzles, probably because I never quite figured out how to use it effectively. (I still don't understand why sometimes one click gives me two lines, or two clicks in rapid succession give an unexpected effect.) I, for one, hope that the new javascript version will be closer to the current html solver than to the Flash version. Or else, is there a place where I can find helpful hints on how to use it effectively? Thanks!
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.08.01 11:49:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter
(I still don't understand why sometimes one click gives me two lines, or two clicks in rapid succession give an unexpected effect.) I, for one, hope that the new javascript version will be closer to the current html solver than to the Flash version. Or else, is there a place where I can find helpful hints on how to use it effectively? Thanks!
I hope you can manage to use the new javascript version successfully. The reason you may have been getting two lines in a click sometimes, is perhaps you were dragging the mouse after clicking near a corner? The flash and new javascript versions allow dragging to draw out lines quickly (which is how the really fast times are achieved).
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.08.01 12:05:23
The flash version has now officially been retired, and is no longer available as an option.

Please report any problems with the new javascript solver here or in a new thread. Thanks!
JohnAtEcs
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 998
Best Total: 14h 54m 58s
Posted - 2016.08.01 17:18:03
Couple of minor queries.

Firstly, is there a help guide to all the features that are now available within the Javescript version?

The FAQ still refers to the 'Flash' version.

PS: Your puzzles are my favourite. Are you thinking about an Android / iOS app next?
Darklady
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3430
Best Total: 9m 37s
Posted - 2016.08.02 00:04:04
The javascript version has been working perfectly for me. Thanks for all your work, foilman!
sargezeb
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 2284
Best Total: 1h 34m 23s
Posted - 2016.08.02 07:55:26
Like it!
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.08.02 07:56:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtEcs
Firstly, is there a help guide to all the features that are now available within the Javescript version?

The FAQ still refers to the 'Flash' version.
Thanks for pointing that out - I've updated the FAQ! I have mentioned in there how to interact with the puzzles; it's pretty much the same as the old javascript version, except you can now drag lines/crosses out with your mouse to speed up puzzle solving, and right-clicking works too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtEcs
PS: Your puzzles are my favourite. Are you thinking about an Android / iOS app next?
I don't really have the knowledge - or the time! - to think about them unfortunately. However, the new version should work in browsers on those platforms... give it a go and see how you get on...
JohnAtEcs
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 998
Best Total: 14h 54m 58s
Posted - 2016.08.02 14:34:04
As of this morning, the very first time that a new puzzle is presented the puzzle is 'double-spaced' - additional horizontal blank lines causing the puzzle to be twice as long as normal. Selecting 'Current puzzle' says that it is 'retrieving the puzzle' and then displays normally. I use Chrome as my browser.
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.08.02 14:41:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtEcs
As of this morning, the very first time that a new puzzle is presented the puzzle is 'double-spaced' - additional horizontal blank lines causing the puzzle to be twice as long as normal. Selecting 'Current puzzle' says that it is 'retrieving the puzzle' and then displays normally. I use Chrome as my browser.
Do you have the puzzle page bookmarked perhaps? Or are you following a link from somewhere? The old puzzle pages do still exist temporarily - and probably will display incorrectly - but shouldn't be linked to from anywhere.

Until I retire the old pages (which I will in the next day or two) the URL for the puzzle pages should be puzzlef2.php, rather than puzzle.php or puzzlef.php, so check in the browser address bar which page you're loading, and how you got there. If it's from a link on this site, let me know and I'll fix it.

Thanks!
JohnAtEcs
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 998
Best Total: 14h 54m 58s
Posted - 2016.08.02 15:49:23
Foilman, Thanks for that and that is the reason [URL: http://www.kwontomloop.com/puzzle.php in my bookmarks]. If you are retiring the old one then will my bookmark no longer work, or will it rectify itself once you have retired the old versions [in which case I will leave alone as only a minor niggle]
foilman
Kwon-Tom Admin
Puzzles: 1716
Best Total: 24m 8s
Posted - 2016.08.02 17:38:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtEcs
Foilman, Thanks for that and that is the reason [URL: http://www.kwontomloop.com/puzzle.php in my bookmarks]. If you are retiring the old one then will my bookmark no longer work, or will it rectify itself once you have retired the old versions [in which case I will leave alone as only a minor niggle]
Once I've completely retired the old version your bookmark should work again, yes. Glad it was a simple solution!
queenie
Kwon-Tom Obsessive
Puzzles: 3788
Best Total: 19m 36s
Posted - 2016.08.03 14:47:21
Hi! First of all thanks, I've been doing your puzzles daily for ten years. I always did them in javascript.  Since you made the change, when I click on the daily puzzle link, or on "current puzzle," it takes me to a new screen with the KTL logo at the top but that's otherwise blank.  Any thoughts on what the problem is?  Thank you!
Page 2 of 3<123>

Forum Index